Gingersnap Pumpkin Pie
Gingersnap Pumpkin Pie with (Gluten Free / Dairy Free Substitute Options)
For the Gingersnap Crust
- 1 1/4 cups ground organic and/or gluten free gingersnaps (from about 25 cookies)
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- Himalayan Pink Sea Salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted grass-fed kerry gold butter, melted and slightly cooled (if dairy free used coconut oil)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/ drop cinnamon essential oil
- 1 drop ginger essential oil
- 1 drop clove essential oil
- 1 drop cardamom essential oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup organic evaporated cane sugar
(Substitutes: pureed dates, or honey, xylitol, your sweetener of choice. Substitute may not be 1:1)
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Sea Salt
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
(or organic firm silken tofu to be dairy free)
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil, softened
- 1 1/4 cups solid-pack organic pumpkin canned or roasted
- 2 farm fresh eggs
Fresh Whipped Cream
- 1 cup organic heavy whipping cream
( Use full fat coconut cream to make dairy free)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
Garnish: freshly grated nutmeg
Make the gingersnap crust:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine gingersnaps, sugar, and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Stir in melted butter. Press mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch metal pie dish. Refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes. Bake until crust is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
To make the Filling:
Beat eggs, cream cheese, and coconut oil in the bowl of an electric stand mixer until smooth and creamy. This should be well softened to ensure the filling is lump free.
Add the sugar to the mixture and beat until smooth and fluffy.
Add the vanilla extract, molasses, essential oils & nutmeg and pumpkin puree and beat until thoroughly combined. If you find that your filling is lumpy, pass it through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl.
Spoon the filling into the cooled pie or tart shell.
Bake @ 425 for 15 minutes, reduce temp to 350 and cook for 20 minutes, then cool on the counter for a few hours, before refrigerating.
To Make the Topping:
Beat together heavy cream and maple syrup until cream is in soft peaks. Spread over the chilled pie and sprinkle with freshly grated nutmeg or gingersnap crumbs just before slicing. Slice and serve.